So, boys and girls, the next two Store Championship Tournaments are set for Saturday, March 22nd at Dragon’s Lair and Saturday, March 29th at Mothership Games. We’ll be starting at 1pm. Standard tournament rules will apply, so be sure you’ve read the latest FAQ. Make sure you have a legal deck! I’ll be there by 12:30pm to start registration. We officially start at 1:00pm. You need to bring a DECKLIST!
IMPORTANT! This is an official tournament. PROXIES ARE NOT ALLOWED. If you need cards, a whole slough of packs have been reprinted. Call Whose Turn Is It Games TODAY and they’ll hook you up. They can usually get packs pretty quickly. They’ll even hold them for you until the day of the event if you want – just get them ordered by calling them now. I know both Mothership and Dragon’s Lair can get them as well if those stores are more convenient for you. Just do me a favor… DON’T order them online. BUY FROM A LOCAL STORE. Now… back to our regularly scheduled programming…
Details for March 22nd
By now, most of you should be familiar with the base prize package for the Store Championships (storcs). I’m throwing in a few extras personally for the Dragon’s Lair storc. The add’l prizes will only be awarded to the Top 4 players (one extra prize each) with anything left over being reserved for other store events going forward. So, assuming all of my shipments come on time, this should be the full prize kit available.
- Store Championship Kit – Plaque and 1st round bye at a US Regional (for the champ), Top 4 playmats, 32 alt-art Gilly’s, custom deck box
- HBO Letter Opener (replica of Longclaw)
- Choice of one of 6 full sized posters from the HBO show
- Famous Ned Stark on the Iron Throne
- Daenerys Targaryen “I Do Not Have a Gentle Heart”
- Jon Snow “I am the Watcher on the Wall”
- Targaryen Sigil “Fire and Blood”
- Stark Sigil “Winter is Coming”
- Map of Westeros
- Choice of 1 of 4 vinyl decals (around 8″ in size) from the HBO show suitable for vehicle windows
- Greyjoy Kraken with We Do Not Sow (in gold)
- House Lannister Standing Lion w/no words (also in gold)
- Kingslayer Decal (in black)
- House Stark Sigil w/no words (in silver)
- Possibly some add’l alt art cards leftover from previous packs (it will all depend on what DL has in the bin)
Here’s how the prize distribution will work:
- First place will get the Championship plaque, one of the Top 4 playmats, an alt-art Gilly, the Longclaw letter opener and then choose ONE of the following:
- One of the six posters, or
- One of the four decals
- 2nd – 4th place will get one of the Top 4 playmats, an alt-art Gilly and then they’ll be offered the same choice as the champ
- 5th place onward will each get an alt-art Gilly and that’s all
- Last place (Sansa prize) will be one of the deck boxes
- If, by some miracle, I’m in the Top 4, I will still only be taking the TO prizes – that means one of the Top 4 playmats and extra prizes will become available to the 5th place player. (And, I will almost certainly not win… but if I did, I WILL take the bye and the plaque but nothing else).
Game format is Joust with each round being timed. The timer will be set to a randomized time between 50 and 60 minutes. As this is not a Regional Tournament, I will be participating in the tournament as a judge. The secondary judge will be announced at the tournament (so that I’m never judging my own game). To ensure this is fair, we’ll be running the honor system on the decklists. Your decklist will only be consulted if there’s a challenge as to the legality of your deck. They will all be reviewed after the tournament is over.
Once all Swiss Rounds are complete, we’ll break for about an hour for everyone to get refreshments (or eat if you haven’t had a chance to yet). If the Top 4 is clear before dinner, I’ll tell you placements at that point. Otherwise, I’ll need to work through strength of schedule if there are any ties and I’ll announce placement when everyone returns. We’ll hand out all prizes for 5th place down after the break and you’ll be free to go unless you want to stay and watch the Top 4 games.
Scoring will be standard scoring as follows:
- Winner – 5 points
- Loser – 0 points
- Tie – 2 points each
- Modified win – 3 points
- Modified loss – 1 point
Details for March 29th
I will not be able to attend this storc (wish I could… schedule does not permit it however). That said, it’s sure to be a great day. Mothership always puts on a good tournament. They’re organized and they keep things moving. Plus, the manager (Matt) is a player himself and loves the game. The store owner (Derek) has always been great to work with, so you should be looking forward to a solid tourney.
Here are the details Matt has given me – the Storc Kit will comprise the full prize pool (though if he has extras of anything – there’s no telling what he’ll toss into the mix). They’ll be running standard Swiss rounds, but they won’t be using the standard tournament scoring, it will be basic win/loss with strength of schedule determining tie breakers.
If you have any questions about it, feel free to head over to the store and ask. Also, if you need any packs for the day, let them know as well and they’ll be sure to order them for you.